Friday, October 3, 2014

Green Clips




Mummy had extra work at Sheetal aunty's that day. She said they had organized Kannu didi's birthday party.
"Why does Kannu didi celebrate birthday, mummy?" I asked her when she asked me to cook dinner.
"Because she was born today, it is her special day." She told me.
What do we do on birthday?” I wanted to know.
“She meets her friends, and gets lots of gifts.” Mummy bit her tongue when she said that. Maybe she wanted to keep that a secret.
"When is my special day? My birthday?"
"I'll tell you when it will come. Make sure dinner's ready before papa comes, okay?"
She said and left. Every time I ask her about my birthday, she goes away. All I'm left to talk to is my 8 months old baby brother, who can't even reciprocate in my language. 

I was studying in class 1, but mummy had to go to work. And papa also. And Akki was small. He needs someone to be with him. So papa made me leave school.
Every day, in the morning, I stay at home to take care of Akki. And when mummy is back from work at lunch time, I take the box of stickers and start my journey from Chandravali to Kamla Nagar, in order to earn some extra income.
Mummy gives me 10% of this earning as my pocket money. I buy clips with it. I love colorful clips. I have matching clips for my clothes. My friends don't get pocket money, but they can read books. Sometimes I want to write counting too. But then I count the notes I have earned, isn't that the same thing? When Akki will grow up, we both will go to school together. Then I will learn to write counting.

Today mummy gave me 8 rupees because I could earn only 80 rupees yesterday. I don't have green clips for this dress. And I couldn't buy them for 8 rupees. It was 3 pm and I was on my usual stroll near the snack corner. Most didis and bhaiyas come from college to eat here. They offer me their leftovers sometimes, but it is very tasty, so I accept. They seldom buy my stickers, but I keep trying...

Today a didi came and asked me, "Do you know Pooja? She is my friend. I want to meet her." She had two more didis with her. One didi had a big camera. 


Pooja is my neighbour. She goes to school in the morning and comes here with her box at 3. "She hasn't come as yet." I told didi. She was wearing a green top. Green clips. They were so beautiful. Must be very costly. She started talking to me. I told her that I go to school.
Mummy said that I should not tell anyone about the truth or they will take Akki away so that I can go to school. I don't want anyone to take him away. I love him. So I kept this a secret.

She was a nice didi. Asked me when my birthday was. And when I told her that I don't know then she said, "It's my birthday today. Let's celebrate your birthday also today."

She fed me dal rice with her own hands and also gave me chocolate. And that camera wali didi clicked our pictures. The other didi who was very tall, taught me how to write counting till 20, when I requested her to.

I didn't want her to go. But she wanted to go to her mummy's house.

Before leaving, she asked me what I like the most. I told her that I love to buy clips to match with my dress. She asked me why I wasn’t wearing clips today. And I told her I will buy green clips tomorrow…
She has promised me she'll come next Thursday to meet me. I'll wait for her. 

I am looking at the beautiful green clips she gave me as my birthday present, and I miss her already.

3 comments: