Sunday, March 22, 2015

Café for Creativity

So I happen to stumble upon this article from The Guardian titled "Pay with a poem: cafes around the world to exchange coffee for poetry" and it totally got me hooked. As a part of UNESCO's World Poetry Day celebration on March 21,2015, 1100 cafes, bars and restaurants across 23 countries agreed to substitute their national currency with poetic work for a day and serve a cup of coffee to their customers in exchange of one of their poems.

In a world where artists are barely surviving with minimum means of existence, this would be a moment of ecstasy for anyone who knows the value of art.

This got me thinking. Imagine a place where you could go, sit and create whatever you like. An environment where people can come, sit together, share their experiences over a cup of coffee, paint or write together, or maybe suggest places to visit, or give details of upcoming workshops and exhibitions. A place which breathes art. The fare wouldn't be a monetary currency, but a compulsion of leaving behind a creation of your own, something original which the other visitors could have an access to, and similar to the concept of Cafe Kunzum in Hauz Khas, it could have a little box at its exit gate, where you are free to drop in whatever amount you wish.

This is my idea of a perfect platform for keeping alive the spark of creativity that we all have in us. As Maya Angelou rightly said, 
"You can't use up creativity. The more you use, the more you will have."   

So a place where you pay with your creativity, your bit of art, your soul. What do they call it? Heaven?

When I grow up, I believe I will open such a place. If, somehow, I don't and you have enough funds at your disposal, consider working with me in partnership, okay?

P.S.-
I'd suggest you to visit this amazing cafe in Hauz Khas Village called Kunzum Travel Cafe. It's a place for travelers, and has a pool of information that may be useful for if you are planning to take a break from your overloaded-with-work lifestyle. And it has got free Wifi too. No, they're not paying me for promotion. It's a genuine recommendation.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you want me to visit it since last year:D you got a future partner!! bing me a personal let's plan it :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cafe already planned ;) two tenures we are gonna do together in future are already set ;-)

    ReplyDelete