Friday, January 23, 2015

Paanch Sau Rupay


If you live in Delhi, the public transport you use most frequently after the (god bless the scientists for inventing it) Delhi Metro is probably an Autorickshaw. But negotiating for the fare can be a total pain in the ass. The autowallas would never agree to switch on the meter and would demand unreasonable sums of money. And you always end up faking that you’re a daily commuter of every damn place you go to even as rare as once a year.
Today, I went to Kamla Nagar market with a friend of mine. It was quarter past twelve and a pleasantly sunny winter afternoon. We would have walked back to the college after we bought her a new bag if it wasn't for our class scheduled at 12.30 and the delay in preparation of the coffee I had ordered.
So we decided to take an auto which would cost us 30 bucks and five minutes. Generally, we would have to argue with at least 3-4 autowallas before someone would actually agree to go by the legit fare. But today was an unusual day. On one side of the muddy under-construction road, a Sardarji had just arrived. So I asked him, “Uncle, Daulat Ram College jana hai, kitne me chaloge?”
He looked at me, and in a very serious tone said, “Panch sau rupaye (500 rupees)” I thought I had misheard him, then he smiled at me and I realized that he was kidding. So both of us settled in the auto and the Sardarji drove off. In a minute, I started a conversation, justifying that I was asking about the fare beforehand because some autowallas demanded extra money. So he said, “That’s why I asked for 500, beta”
I looked at my friend, and we couldn’t stop laughing. He laughed with us, and said, “Beta aise hi khush raha karo, meri to bass yahi koshish rehti hai ki sab bache yuhi haste rahein.” He had such a jolly vibe that we couldn’t resist laughing at the little jokes he cracked every now and then.
 Both of us were so delighted by this little pleasant encounter, and before we knew, we had already reached college. My friend took out three ten rupee notes and handed  them to him. He took them and smiled, “Beta, 470 rupees balance raha apka.”

It really doesn’t matter who you are and what you do, it doesn’t take a diamond ring or an expensive bouquet to please someone. A little gesture can make you remember a person for your lifetime!

I don’t think if I’d ever be able to pay off the positivity he gave me today, but I really hope I meet him again, just to lessen the monetary debt of 470/- I owe him.

3 comments:

  1. finally i am reading your blog. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me I had tried to make its title interesting only for you! xP

      Delete
  2. and in the end a jaadu ki jhappi :D
    kidding this is reallly good :)

    ReplyDelete